Looking for a local Sunshine Coast builder? There are a variety of home designs out there, but what’s the right one for your brand new home? Today, we’re having a look at the home designs that are available on the Sunshine Coast. The Sunshine Coast is famous for its beaches and natural attractions, while still being only an hour’s drive from Brisbane.
When it comes to choosing the right home design for your dream home, there are a few factors to consider. First, your lifestyle and needs. You may need to go to the city for work, but also want to be close to the beach for weekends. Or perhaps you want to raise your family in a more rural area. Second, the block of land you’re working with. The good news is that with a little creative thinking, you might just be able to get a bigger house on your land than you’d expect. The third is how much can you afford. While it may be tempting to throw caution in the wind and worry about money later, having an idea of your budget will help avoid disasters down the track.
Sunshine Coast Home Designs by Style
Luxury Home Designs
These are very individual properties, with unique features, and they have a higher price tag (even more so if they’re being built in one of the Sunshine Coast’s waterfront areas). Features that make a luxury home include greater square footage, luxe amenities and features, premium materials, sculpted lots, prime locations, and beautiful surroundings and views.
Knock Down Rebuild
With great locations becoming harder to come by, knock-down rebuilds are becoming a more popular option among new home builders. Most builders offer a knockdown rebuild service, however here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You’ll most likely have to organise the demolition yourself.
- Organisation is key to a smooth building process. There are more steps in a knockdown rebuild meaning there are more chances for delays. Make sure things like paperwork and permits are submitted by the correct date to avoid delays.
- Make sure the home you’re planning to knock down isn’t heritage listed.
Hampton Home Designs
The Hamptons look comes from the luxury, holiday homes from upper New York. It has become a popular look in Australia, being found everywhere from the suburbs to the countryside. Some of the trademarks of a Hamptons home includes pointed roofs, verandahs, open plan living, light colours, and
Due to the popularity of the design, most builders in Australia offer a Hamptons design/facade option. Some builders even boast it as one of their specialties so you won’t be short on choices.
Narrow block home designs
With blocks getting smaller, it’s definitely worth looking into narrow lot blocks. Typically, any design under 12m in house width. If you’re looking to live in the city, odds are you’ll only have smaller blocks of land available.
- Could save you money. A small block of land with the right home design could end up cheaper than buying a larger lot.
- If you decide on a smaller house, there will be less upkeep.
- Smaller lots are often in very expensive suburbs. You may want to weigh up if you’re getting your money’s worth.
- House can feel cramped without some clever design choices, like open plan living, multiple storeys, etc.
Split Level Home Designs
A Split Level Homes design could be a great solution for anyone who is working with an uneven lot. Split level houses are designed to take full advantage of sloping blocks and accommodate uneven land through the use of a split level home design. Split level homes have at least three separate levels, usually with a staircase connecting each area.
- Great way to make the most of difficult blocks
- Your house will be unique
- Flexible floor designs
- A lot of guaranteed build time won’t apply to split home designs
- The unique look can be an acquired taste.
- Resale can be difficult
- A lot of stairs.
Single storey house designs
The single storey house design is the common type of house you’ll see. Unlike multi-storey designs, a single storey home can be more flexible with its floor plan.
- Usually more affordable, making it a great option for first home buyers.
- No stairs, making life easier for anyone with mobility issues.
- Wider range than any other design out there.
- The footprint of your home is the house area.
- Often takes up more land space than multi-storey homes.
- Lacks the buffer zones/privacy options of a double-storey home.
Double-storey house designs
Double-storey homes are a popular option for larger families. Most (though not all) builders offer double-storey designs.
- It can be a great way to fit a large home size onto a smaller block of land.
- More room for larger families
- Offers more options for privacy
- Great street appeal
- More home means more area to clean.
- Could be more space than you need.
- Higher costs for maintanance (heating for example)
Home Builders in Sunshine Coast
Ausbuild offers a lot of home designs, especially single and double-storey. They have home designs that are suitable for narrow blocks.
Bold Living promotes that their floorplans are flexible which is a big plus. They offer single and double-storey designs.
Brighton Homes is part of the MJH Group. Their designs follow a lot of the current trends. They offer the following floorplans:
Coral Homes offers the following options:
- Single Storey
- Double Storey
- Acreage Homes
Clarendon Home design
Clarendon Homes offer over 100 different designs on their website and have 10 different display homes across South East Queensland.
Dixon Homes offers affordable homes. They offer a wide range of different house plans to choose from and would be an option looking to build an affordable home.
The thing to remember with Hallmark Homes is they don’t build double-storey floor plans. That having been said, they do offer the following:
- Acreage Homes
- Narrow Lot
- Single Storey Homes only
Homes by CMA
Homes by CMA are not flexible with changes to floorplans. On the plus side, their standard inclusions are generous compared to other builders.
McCarthy Homes has a reputation for tackling difficult blocks, so if you’re working with an uneven lot, they’re definitely worth checking out.
Metricon is one of the largest builders in Australia. Their homes are well designed up to date with the current trends. Most display villages have a Metricon home, so it’s easy to check out their work. When it comes to variations to house plans, it is possible, but it will be expensive.
- Single Storey Homes
- Double-storey homes
- Luxury Homes
Established nearly fifty years ago, Ownit homes have a range of home designs. Their homes are customisable and they specialise in roofs and terraces.
Plantation Homes specialise in Acreage Homes. They have display homes everywhere including Brisbane Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. Their complete range can be found on their website.
Porter Davis Homes
Originally founded in Melbourne, Porter Davis Homes opened its first display homes.
- Single Storey Homes
- Double Storey Homes
- Acreage Homes
Simonds Homes is one of the oldest names in the Australian building industry. They have a wide range of homes to choose from. Unfortunately, they don’t have a dedicated post-build team, so if you have any issues with your home after it’s complete, it can be difficult to get it resolved.
Stroud Homes offers a wide range of house plans including:
- Attached granny flats
- Double storey homes
- Dual occupancy homes
- Duplex home designs
- Luxury home designs
- Narrow lot designs
- Single storey home designs
At Buildi, we help you find the right builder, save time, reduce stress and stay on budget.
How We Can Help You
Building a home is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. At Buildi, we’ll be there throughout the entire building process, guiding you step by step so you can avoid any pitfalls. We will help you by following these steps.
- Free Consultation – We will sit with you to understand what you are looking to accomplish.
- Due Diligence – We work with you to ensure you’re buying the right block of land at the right price without hidden problems.
- Builders tender – We will take your requirements out to the market of builders and they will bid to win your business.
- Present solutions – We will compile the top 3 options and present you with a comprehensive proposal on builders’ strengths & weaknesses along with prices and specifications.
- Contract Signing – We will work with you and your selected builder to ensure there is full transparency in what you are entering into.
- Building your home – We work closely with the builder to ensure all service levels are met and your project is on schedule
How much does it cost to build a home on the Sunshine Coast?
The Sunshine Coast is on average, more affordable than either Brisbane or the Gold Coast. This will obviously depend on the suburb you’re planning to buy-in, and the type of house you’re planning to build. The Sunshine Coast is a popular place for families and offers a great mixture of lifestyles. You’ve got the beach, country and city lifestyle all within driving distance of each other.