Ever considered getting away from the city and living the small-town life? Perhaps you want to get some acreage and start a hobby farm, or just love the idea of getting in touch with nature. For anyone looking for local home builders in the Gympie region, this is the article for you. Gympie is a rural town in South East Queensland, about an hour north of the Sunshine Coast.
Let’s take a closer look at local builders in Gympie, both those part of a larger chain and smaller names in the building industry.
Is Gympie the right place for me?
There’s no getting around the fact that Gympie is a bit of a drive from everywhere. Unless you’re prepared to drive an hour or so, you’ll want to find work in the area itself. However, if you want the relaxed, country town vibe with beautiful scenery or want some acreage property, Gympie is well worth a look.
Though there isn’t a beach in Gympie itself, it is within driving distance of Rainbow Beach, the Sunshine Coast and Noosa, so it is great if you want to go to the beach for a day, but not if you want the coastal lifestyle.
For those looking for an investment property, you’ll find renters and the property market is seeing rises everywhere, however, Gympie is unlikely to skyrocket as much as other areas in South East Queensland.
For anyone looking for acreage, you can make your money go a lot further in a place like Gympie than most places closer to Brisbane, the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. Plus it really is in the country, so it’ll suit those who want the legit farm lifestyle.
In all honesty, Gympie will be a little remote and small for a lot of people. However, for the right person, it’s a quiet area with a unique character and beautiful surroundings made up of bushland and valleys.
At Buildi, we help you find the right builder, save time, reduce stress and stay on budget.
How We Can Help You
Building a home is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. At Buildi, we’ll be there throughout the entire building process, guiding you step by step so you can avoid any pitfalls. We will help you by following these steps.
- Free Consultation – We will sit with you to understand what you are looking to accomplish.
- Due Diligence – We work with you to ensure you’re buying the right block of land at the right price without hidden problems.
- Builders tender – We will take your requirements out to the market of builders and they will bid to win your business.
- Present solutions – We will compile the top 3 options and present you with a comprehensive proposal on builders’ strengths & weaknesses along with prices and specifications.
- Contract Signing – We will work with you and your selected builder to ensure there is full transparency in what you are entering into.
- Building your home – We work closely with the builder to ensure all service levels are met and your project is on schedule.
Home Building Services
House and Land Packages
Can be a more streamlined process
The biggest advantage of house and land packages, and the one thing you’ll see constantly highlighted in advertisements, is that it is an easier, more streamlined option when it comes to buying a home. At first glance, this sounds fantastic and very tempting. However, being more streamlined means less choice. Less choice is another way of saying less and having less say equals the builder holding all the cards.
Tempting option for First Home Buyers
When beginning your building journey, it doesn’t take long to feel overwhelmed by the whole process. We get it! A lot goes into building a home. However, while putting your home together, it can be tricky to remember the building experience is only a small part of the journey. You’ll be left with the final product for years to come, so it may be worth a more in-depth approach
One of the concerns we have about house and land packages is that when a contract is streamlined, what exactly is being rushed by? Are there details that are mentioned in passing, or are costs not being explained fully? Builders will often charge extra for a house and land package, but you’re paying more for convenience over choice. Potentially, you could pay less by buying land and then finding a builder, plus have more choices than you would by going with a house and land package.
Lack of Choice
House and land packages offer you a couple of floorplans, and very little in the way of customisation. This includes everything in your new house, including your fixtures, features
Your choice of where you can build is also limited to where-ever the builder is offering. Other options like buying a block of land or a knockdown rebuild will offer you a lot more flexibility.
Small Lot Sizes
While not the case a hundred per cent of the time, more often than not, house and land packages come with smaller lot sizes. If you’re moving to Gympie with the dream of living on a sprawling property, this could be an issue.
Split Level Homes
A split-level home design is a multi-level design, specifically created to make the most of uneven or sloping blocks. While some larger builders do offer split-level home designs, it’s worth at least investigating some bespoke builders for a project like this. Working with a sloping block is a more challenging build than working with a flat piece of land, so you want to be confident in the engineering abilities of the builder you choose to go with.
Bespoke New Homes
A Bespoke Home is another way of saying a custom home. As the name suggests, the floor plan is a lot more flexible and you get to have a say in every step of the process.
GJ Gardner Homes
G.J. Gardner Homes is one of the biggest builders in the country and have operated in Brisbane for over 37 years.
- One of the biggest builders in the country, with over 36,000 builds to their name.
- Lots of variety in home designs.
- They’re a franchised business, meaning different locations will offer completely different experiences
- Upgraded display homes can be misleading
- Prices can vary depending on where you’re building
Hotondo Homes works all over South-East Queensland They’ve won a Master Builders Association award for their work on sloping sites, so are worth looking into if you’re working with slanted land.
A local Gympie builder how to build in Gympie, Cooloola, North Sunshine Coast and up to Harvey Bay. They offer five ranges including:
- Beach Range
- Country Range
- Essential Range
- Island Range
- Modern Range
Their speciality is elevated homes and working with difficult terrains, which in Gympie, is in abundance.
An award-winning, local builder who specialises in custom-designed homes and has over 25 building experience in the Gympie area.
Dixon Homes Gympie
Dixon Homes is a franchised builder with locations along the Australian East Coast. Founded in 1959, Dixon Homes has built a name for itself as an affordable alternative in the building industry.
- More affordable than other builders.
- Wide range of designs to choose from.
- Communication has received mixed reviews. Customer service can be poor
- Different locations will have different approaches.
- Finished homes sometimes fail to meet customers’ expectations.
Stroud Homes Gympie
Stroud Homes was founded by James Stroud in 2005, and they build Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria
- Promise a reasonable build time
- Wide range of different house-designs.
- Good rating on Productreview.com.au
- Post-build communication can be poor
- Some customers have complained of issues with the finished home