Metricon Homes is one of Australia’s largest builders, but are they any good? Bigger isn’t always better as we’ve seen countless times via our country’s Royal Commissions. Today we review Metricon Homes and put them through their paces. We’ll take a closer look at their pros and cons, what they have to offer and whether they’re the right builder for you.
- Founded: 1976
- Headquarters: Melbourne, Victoria.
- Owned: Private.
- Funded by: Retail deposits and wholesale capital markets.
- Operates: Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia.
- Build a year: In the latest financial year (2021-2022) they started 5,969 homes nationally, slightly lower than the 6,052 they built the previous financial year.
The top 5 things Metricon Homes are good at:
- ✅They have excellent marketing material.
- ✅Their homes are well-designed and up with trends.
- ✅They provide steel frames as standard.
- ✅They always have promotions.
- ✅They’re a big builder.
The top 5 things Metricon Homes aren’t so good at:
- ⛔️Incongruent, there are just too many cooks who spoil the pot.
- ⛔️Unless you have a great site supervisor you’ll have a terrible experience.
- ⛔️Have got in trouble for misleading consumers
- ⛔️Variations are excruciatingly expensive.
- ⛔️Many customers feel there are issues with Metricon’s warranties.
Metricon Display Homes
Metricon has a large number of display homes available. In Queensland they have a vast array of display homes and their addresses can be found below.
To find out their opening times visit www.metricon.com.au/display-homes/
- 4 Patricia Lane Baringa, 4551
- 2 Executive Way Bridgeman Downs, 4035
- 48 Brook Crescent Burpengary East, 4505
- 2 Forrestdale Street Coomera, 4209
- 1 Lawrence Rise Cumbalum, 2478
- 1 Olive Avenue Greenbank, 4124
- 1 Clover Way Helensvale, 4212
- 3 Cardinal Crescent Newport, 4020
- 14 Brookbent Road Pallara, 4110
- 18 Tranquility Way Palmview, 4553
- 26 Brilliant Place Rochedale, 4123
- 2-6 Skyview Ave Rochedale, 4123
- 92 Campbell Street Sorrento, 4217
- 3 Amity Way South Ripley, 4306
- 22 Houston Street Spring Mountain, 4124
- 4 Altitude Boulevard Terranora, 2486
- 314 Canvey Road Upper Kedron, 4055
- 9 Tallai Road Tallai, 4213
Metricon Homes Reviews
With so many companies gaming the system, it’s so hard to know how good or bad they are purely based on their reviews. Having researched Metricon Homes, it became apparent that they tightly control their reviews.
I’ve personally seen some builders have non-disclosure clauses in their contracts to protect against negative reviews. It’s crazy, right?
In no way am I saying Metricon is doing this, but with a builder who built over 4,473 homes across Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia in 2019, they don’t have many reviews online.
Of the reviews we found on Google, they were a bit of a mixed bag.
Then another search on Facebook, and it appears they’ve turned off, or disabled reviews as I couldn’t find any feedback here.
Looking at product reviews statistics it almost looks like they’ve gamed the system. With a drastic change in their review score since 2014.
The vast majority of reviews come after the build is completed (Post-Construction: 2,041, Mid-Construction: 314, Pre-Construction: 389). Something seems a little odd here.
Looking at other platforms like Word of Mouth and Houzz the story does look a little different.
But the trouble is that they only have 25 and 5 reviews respectively, so not a great base to work on.
One of Our Customers
This is a real-life case study and essentially feedback from one of our customers. So if you are dealing with Metricon Homes beware! Make sure you get everything in writing and don’t sign everything until all the details are agreed upon and in writing.
Tips when working with Metricon Homes
- Know exactly what you want. From colour, finishes, hardware, electronics and accessories.
- Start with the end in mind. What does your home look and feel like? This is the only way you’ll be able to limit your options, otherwise very easy to get lost with information overload.
- Visit their display homes as many times as you can. Each time you visit look at it from a different angle, you might go there initially to get a feel for their style, then again to measure up the rooms for things like furniture, and yet another for electrical.
- Get physical copies of all the documentation. Ideally, you’ll increase the size of the drawings so you’re able to write all over them, from repositioning lights to getting an additional PowerPoint. Don’t rush this.
- The linchpin of your success relies on your site supervisor. He or she will be that instrumental in your build going smoothly or to standard. If off the bat you don’t have confidence or clash with your site supervisor, it’s best you request a new one.
- Know that mistakes are going to happen throughout the process. It’s important that you have a Site Supervisor you trust and can rely on. You’ll want your relationship with your Site Supervisor to be a professional one, where integrity, trust and honesty are key. Know this is a two-way street, so when things do go wrong aim to be courteous, friendly, and firm but fair.
- Know that any changes to your contract will cost extra.
- You don’t have to do everything through Metricon. A great site supervisor will allow you access to the site so you can make the appropriate measurement to organise other items such as window covers, flooring and landscaping.
- It’s important that you’re hands-on with your build. Therefore, it’s best to be at the site as much as possible even if it’s just a drive-by. This will allow you to have your finger on the pulse knowing what’s going on and if any issues arise. Building a house will be one of the most expensive things you’ll ever do in life, so knowing upfront that there will be difficulties along the way and committing to a can-do attitude will help you through your journey.
- Remember that over Christmas most builders shut shop. So if you are looking to build around this period know and plan for this in advance. If you’re wanting to get into your home quickly as your Site Supervisor if they’re able to get a few more tradies on site to get things moving quicker. A great site supervisor will move mountains, remember if you don’t ask you don’t get.
- At handover expect there still to be a few minor things that still need to be fixed or completed. Generally, these items are fixed within 90 days after handover. A pro tip is to delay the handover and the final payment until all these little incidentals are completed. You’ll find these items are fixed quick sticks! But once that final payment’s made, don’t expect mountains to be moved.
Metricon Homes Brands
Home Solution: for those who are looking to exit the rental market and buy your first home this is for you. This product helps those with a low deposit who are looking to either build a townhouse or a home and land package. Essentially all the legwork is done for you.
Freedom: is their low-price brand which allows young families to build their new homes. They say you get more home for less. This product is really for people looking for a larger house with a smart affordable design. So if you’re buying on a budget and need more room, this product’s for you. Below is a flavour of what this product has to offer.
Designer: are you looking for something grand, luxurious and comfortable, then this is the product for you. Offering contemporary enhanced living designs. From rach to bohemian, let your imagination run wild. Below is a flavour of what this product has to offer.
Signature: elegance, grace and beauty are what this product brings. Offering an experience where your dreams and lifestyle are fulfilled. Below is a flavour of what this product has to offer.
Town living: townhomes that offer design, low maintenance and compact living. Perfect for those empty nesters looking to downsize. Below is a flavour of what this product has to offer.
At Buildi, we help you find the right builder, save time, reduce stress and stay on budget.
How We Can Help You
Building a home can be a daunting process. At Buildi, we work with you throughout the entire build process to avoid any pitfalls and make sure your house build stays on time and on budget by following these simple steps…
- Free Consultation – We will sit with you to understand what you are looking to accomplish.
- Due Diligence – We work with you to ensure you’re buying the right block of land at the right price without hidden problems.
- Builders tender – We will take your requirements out to the market of builders and they will bid to win your business.
- Present solutions – We will compile the top 3 options and present you with a comprehensive proposal on builders’ strengths & weaknesses along with prices and specifications.
- Contract Signing – We will work with you and your selected builder to ensure there is full transparency in what you are entering into.
- Building your home – We work closely with the builder to ensure all service levels are met and your project is on schedule.
We help find you the right builder for your home build. Contact us today!
Reputation for Misleading
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) was concerned about the number of misleading promotional material Metricon advertised on its website between January 2009 and August 2011 which included (full article can be found here);
- Advertising homes at a certain price, but the features and fittings are either not available or are able to be provided at the price advertised.
- Having a “Build Time Guarantee” which meant they’d guarantee your build to be done within 14 and 24 weeks and that if the home wasn’t built in this time they’d rebate rental costs. But the raft of terms and conditions meant it rarely applied to the majority of houses offered by Metricon.
- ‘Home Expo Promotion’ and ‘Red Hot Rollback Promotion’ uncovered Metricon advertising a discounted price which would be saved if the homes were bought in the promotion period. The trouble was that these promotions were sales on properties they had never actually sold before. Meaning their discounts were fictitious, another way of saying that you’re getting a discount and only paying $5 for a cappuccino normally worth $10. The problem is that the cappuccino was only worth $5 in the first place.
- Between January 2009 and June 2011, Metricon was found to be offering an “Upgrades Package” which offered specific features and fittings at a discounted “Promotion Price” compared to its “standard price”. But the problem was that before this promotion Metricon hasn’t sold most of these advertised features and fittings at its “standard price” and as such was evidenced as misleading consumers about the real value and price of these upgrades
As a result, the Federal Court in Brisbane Ordered Metricon to pay $800,000 in penalties as a direct result of misleading consumers. They were also ordered to pay $50,000 towards the ACCC’s costs.
Metricon Homes Awards
2020 Product Review Awards
- Metricon – Top Performing Brand in the Home Building Category in South Australia
2020 HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards
- Townhouse/Villa of the Year, Edgewater 6.0, Lightsview
2019 HIA COLORBOND® Steel Housing Top 100 Report
- Australia’s Number One Home Builder
2019 MBQLD Housing and Construction Awards
- Queensland Display Home over $551,000, Riviera, Sorrento
2019 HIA-CSR Queensland Housing Awards
- Queensland Display Home of the Year, Riviera, Sorrento
2019 HIA South Australian Housing Awards
- Major Professional Builder of the Year
- Readers’ Choice Award, Lincoln 29, Mount Barker
- Best Display Home $250,001 to $400,000, Merricks 42, Mount Barker
- Best Display Home over $650,001, Franklin 40, Lightsview
- Townhouse/Villa of the Year, Edgewater 6.0, Lightsview
2019 HIA Gold Coast and Northern Rivers Housing Awards
- Best Display Home over $1 million, Riviera, Sorrento
- Best Display for Queensland and Northern Rivers, Riviera, Sorrento
2019 HIA Regional Housing Awards – Western Victoria
- Best Display Home up to $250,000, Lawson 22MK2, Ballarat
- Best Display Home $250,001 to $300,000, Delta 25S, Ballarat
2019 HIA Brisbane Kitchen, Bathroom and Queensland Interior Design Awards
- Best Display Home Interior Design and Decoration, Riviera, Sorrento
2019 HIA Regional Housing Awards – Northern Victoria
- Best Display Home over $500,001, Chelsea 33, Killara
2019 MBA SA Excellence Awards
- Excellence in a Display Home $250,000 – $350,000, Lincoln 29, Mount Barker
- Excellence in a Display Home over $500,000, Franklin 40, Lightsview
- MBA SA Display Home Builder of the Year
2019 MBQLD Housing Awards
- Best Display Home over $551,000, Riviera, Sorrento
2019 MBAV Regional Building Awards, South West
- Best Volume Display Home under $250,000, Lawson 22MK2, Ballarat
- Best Volume Display Home $350,000 – $500,000, Bohemian 29, Torquay
2019 MBAV Regional Building Awards, North East
- Best Volume Display Home over $500,000, Chelsea 33, Killara
2018 Housing Industry Association Top Homebuilders in Australia
- HIA No.1 Home Builder, based on the HIA-COLORBOND® steel Housing 100 Report
2018 HIA-CSR Queensland Housing Awards
- Best Display Home $250,001-$300,000, Tavara 23, Brisbane
- Best Display Home $500,001-$700,000, Botanica 36, Brisbane
- Best Display Home Interior Design, Edgewater 27
2018 HIA-CSR South Australian Housing, Kitchen & Bathroom Awards
- Display Home of the Year – Somerset 57A, Craigburn Farm
- HIA Readers’ Choice – Delta 25S, Brookmont
- Best Display Home up to $250,000 – Delta 25S, Brookmont
- Best Display Home between $400,001-$650,000 – Edgewater 6.0, Lightsview
- Best Display Home over $650,001 – Somerset 57A, Craigburn Farm
2018 HIA-CSR NSW Housing, Kitchen & Bathroom Awards
- Best Kitchen in a Display Home – Bordeaux 57, Kellyville
- Best Bathroom in a Display Home – Bordeaux 57, Kellyville
- Best Display Home over $500,001 – Bordeaux 57, Kellyville
- Display Home of the Year – Bordeaux 57, Kellyville
2018 MBAV Excellence in Housing Awards
- Best Display Home $350,000-$500,000 – The Glendale 42, Wollert
2018 MBAV Regional Building Awards, South East
- Best Volume Builder Display Home under $250,000 – Tulloch 22, Sale
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $250,000-$350,000 – Delta 22, Warragul
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $350,000-$500,000 – Fortitude 32, Warragul
2018 MBAV Regional Building Awards, South West
- Regional Residential Builder of the Year – Akuna, Point Lonsdale
- Best Volume Builder Display Home under $250,000 – Delta 25, Mt Duneed
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $250,000-$350,000 – Amira 28BP, Lara
- Best Custom Home $1M -$2M – Akuna, Point Lonsdale
2018 HIA Regional Building Excellence Awards, Eastern Victoria
- Best Display Home $250,001-$300,000 – Mantra 29, Kialla
- Best Display Home $250,001-$300,000 – Delta 22, Warragul
2018 HIA and DIA Queensland Kitchen, Bathroom and Interior Design Awards
- Best Bathroom Design for a Display Home – Botanica 36, Pallara
- Best New Bathroom $20,000-$40,000 – Botanica 36, Pallara
- Best Use of Face Brick for its façade – Chelsea 33, Helensvale
2018 Master Builders Association of NSW Excellence in Housing Awards
- Best Exhibition/Project Home $600,000-$800,000, Metro 31, North Macquarie
2017 Housing Industry Association Top Homebuilders in Australia
- HIA No.1 Home Builder – based on the HIA-COLORBOND® steel Housing 100 Report
2017 MBAV Regional Building Awards, South East
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $350,000-$500,000, Botanica 36 Traralgon
2017 MBAV Regional Building Awards, South West
- Best Volume Builder Display Home under $250,000, Lawson 22, Warralilly
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $350,000-$500,000, Botanica 32 Fyansford
2017 MBAV Regional Building Awards, North West
- Best Volume Builder Display Home $250,000-$300,000, Delta 28BP Strathfieldsaye
2017 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Western Victoria
- Best Display Home up to $250,000 – Delta 28BP, Armstrong Creek
- Best Display Home $300,001-$400,000 – Botanica 32, Fyansford
- Best Display Home $400,001-$500,000 – Vantage 38, Fyansford
2017 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Eastern Victoria
- Best Display Home $250,001-$300,000 – Delta 25S, Bairnsdale
- Best Display home $400,001-$500,000 – Botanica 36, Traralgon
- Display Home of the Year – Botanica 36, Traralgon
2017 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Northern Victoria
- Best Display Home $250,001-$300,000, Delta 25S, Strathfieldsaye
2017 HIA Victorian Excellence in Building Awards
- Best Display Home, $600k-$1M – Bayville 49, Brighton East
- Best Display Home, up to $250,000 – Delta 25, Tarneit
- Best Bathroom in a Display Home – Bayville 49, Brighton East
2016 Housing Industry Association Top Homebuilders in Australia
- HIA No.1 Home Builder – based on the HIA-COLORBOND® steel Housing 100 Report
2016 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Eastern Victoria
- Best Display Home up to $250,000 – Amira 22A, Warragul
2016 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Western Victoria
- Best Display Home up to $250,000 – Delta 25S, Drysdale
2016 HIA Regional Housing Awards, Northern Victoria
- Best Display Home $400,001-$500,000 – Botanica 32, Kialla
Find a builder near you
Looking for a home builder near you? Check out our reviews on some of the best builders in South East Queensland.