One of the most common questions we get asked is, “How much does it cost to build a house”, which is a bit like asking the length of a piece of string. The price of a house can vary widely depending on numerous factors, however, it’s possible to look at statistics to get an idea of costs to use as a starting point. So, with that in mind, let’s start punching some numbers and seeing how much it costs to build a 3-bedroom house in each Australian state. For the purposes of this article, we’ll be looking at the major Australian markets of each capital city.
What factors impact the cost of a 3-bedroom house?
- Where you’re building. The city suburb where you choose can make a huge difference.
- Your choice of home builder
- The quality of building materials you use for your home and the availability of it (anything that needs to be specially ordered or there are supply chain shortages comes out of your pocket).
- Your choice in fittings and fixtures, for example, whether you choose the standard or luxury option.
- The land you’re building on, including whether it has a sloping surface, soil issues, unstable foundation or any potential issues.
- Your home design. This could include changes made and whether you choose a pre-existing house plan or a custom design.
- Custom-built homes are more expensive than those by a volume builder.
- The type of home loan you go with.
- Site costs, including soil tests, and contour surveys.
- Tree removal, demolitions or any other removals.
- Local council fees.
- Any significant delays, whether avoidable or not, will likely add to your costs
- Trends in the building industry.
How much land will I need to build a 3-bedroom house?
The average house size for a three-bedroom home is between 150-234 square metres, so even narrow blocks should be able to easily accommodate this.
What is the average cost to build a 3-bedroom house in each state & territory?
In this section, we’ll be looking at ballpark figures for building a house with three bedrooms in each Australian state. Prices will differ, especially if you’re building in rural areas away from major cities.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in QLD
Depending on your choice of materials and features, the average Queensland house will cost between $1,900 m2 to $3,900+ m2. For the entire house, expect to pay around $285,000 to upwards of $912,600.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in QLD?
The average cost for a block of land in the Brisbane area is $620,000. Like any city, your choice of suburb will make a big difference in cost with more in-demand suburbs like Tenneriffe, South Brisbane or the West End easily fetching over a million dollars per block.
What is the average cost of labour in QLD?
$114,000-$364,000 of the entire amount you spend will go towards labour costs.
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in QLD?
Building approvals and building permits will cost you upwards of $1,000 depending on the suburb you are in, the nature of your project, and the permits you’ll need.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in NSW
The average three-bedroom house in New South Wales costs $2,100-$6,400 per square metre or a total cost of $315,000 to $1,497,000.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in NSW?
$716,381 in Sydney, though this price will vary. Some of the most highly regarded suburbs in Sydney will cost more while more rural areas are likely to cost less.
What is the average cost of labour in NSW?
Of your total cost, expect $126,000 to 600,000 of it to be spent on labour costs.
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in NSW?
Different councils will have their own fees and approval procedures so check with your local council.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in SA
$1740-$3,800 per square metre
$261,000-889,200 for the total cost.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in SA?
The average cost of land in Adelaide is between $200,000-$350,000 or between $666-$8,937 per square metre.
What is the average cost of labour in SA?
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in SA?
$1,120 upwards, depending on which district and local council you’re dealing with.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in WA
Expect to pay $2,220-$4,100 per square metre or $333,000 -$959,400 for the final cost.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in WA?
Per square metre, land in Western Australia can range from $930 to $6,310 in the most expensive suburbs.
What is the average cost of labour in WA?
$133,200-383,760 of your total price.
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in WA?
Permits and approval can cost anywhere between a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on what you require.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in VIC
Per Square Metre: $2,000-$4,300
Overall cost: $300,000-$1,006,200
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in VIC?
For a block of land in the Melbourne region, expect to pay between $2,622- $13,915 per square metre, depending on the suburb.
What is the average cost of labour in VIC?
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in VIC?
$1,415.10 approx. This can vary depending on which permits you require.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in NT
Per Square Metre: $1,700-$2,950
Overall Cost: $255,000-$690,300.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in NT?
The cost of land in Hobart is around $650 to $6,599 per square metre.
What is the average cost of labour in NT?
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in NT?
$734-$1,065 depending on the project.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in ACT
As a rough idea, expect to pay around $1,840-$3,650 per square metre for your three-bedroom house. That would be a total cost of about $276,000 to $854,100.
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in ACT?
Land in the ACT will cost around $417,000 on average, or $2,827 to $3,392 per square metre.
What is the average cost of labour in ACT?
Somewhere between 110,400-341,640 of your final cost.
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in ACT?
Talk to your local council about the necessary fees and permits you’ll need for your build.
Cost of building a 3-bedroom house in TAS
Cost per metre: $1,800-$2,200.
Overall cost: $217,000- $514,000
What is the average cost of land for a 3-bedroom house in TAS?
The cost of land in Tassie is around $650 to $6,599 per square metre.
What is the average cost of labour in TAS?
Labour costs will add up to around $86,800- $108,000 of your total cost.
What is the cost of building and planning permits required in TAS?
Building permits and planning approval will vary depending on the area you’re building in and the nature of your project. We recommend getting in touch with your local council for more details.
Our tips on saving money when building a 3-bedroom home
- When designing your home, prioritise features, fittings and desires. What are essentials and what would be nice to have? For example, if hardwood floors are a must but solar panels can wait until later, you ensure your budget can cover the former before you purchase the latter.
- Consider how much space you really need.
- Try to be organised and have everything ready. Delays can be costly, so whenever you can avoid them you should do.
- Talk to at least three home builders and get quotes from each. This will help you gauge what’s available and help you get the best deal for you.
- Speak to a financial advisor who can help you budget and advise you on what you can realistically pay back
- Make sure you make any repayments on time
- Research your builder and ensure the company is in good shape. Without sugarcoating it, your builder going bankrupt during your build is a disaster and will put you in a difficult situation financially.
- Hire a building broker, like Buildi, to guide you through the building process. We can not only help you find the right builder for your dream home, but we’ll be there to help you avoid mistakes and ensure every detail of your contract is met. As client advocates, we’re here to give balance back to the home buyers.