Gold Coast Home Designs by Style
So, you’re looking to build on the Gold Coast but haven’t settled on a home design for your new dream home? You’ve come to the right place. This article will give you all the info you need on the variety of home designs you could build on the Gold Coast, along with links to our detailed guides.
Choosing the right home design is the foundation of building the perfect home, so it’s worth getting it right. First, your lifestyle and needs. For example, a large family will have different needs than a retired couple. Second, the block of land you’re working with. This includes the block size, any landscaping issues and the slope of your block. However, the good news is that with a little creative thinking, you might just be able to get a bigger house on your land than you’d expect. The final thing is the budget. While finances can feel like a buzzkill, it is important to be realistic about what you can afford. Exceeding your budget is a recipe for turning your dream home into a nightmare!
Luxury Home Designs
As the name suggests, these are top of the range properties with the most expensive inclusions. The houses are often heavily customised and one of a kind with unique features, and they have a higher price tag. Features that make a luxury home: greater square footage, luxe amenities and features, premium materials, sculpted lots, prime locations, and beautiful surroundings and views.
Hampton Home Designs
The Hamptons look comes from the luxury, holiday homes in upper New York. This was easily adapted for Australian conditions and can be found everywhere from near the beach to rural areas. Some of the trademarks of a Hamptons home include pointed roofs, verandahs, open plan living and light colours.
Australians love the Hamptons looks, and builders have caught onto this. Most builders offer a Hamptons facade, with some even boasting it as one of their specialties.
Narrow block home designs
The average block size has gotten smaller over the last few decades, and this trend is likely to continue. Therefore, if you’re looking to build in the city, narrow-lot block designs are worth looking at. Typically, any design under 12m in house width. If you’re looking to live in the city, odds are you’ll only have smaller blocks of land available.
- Could save you money. A small block of land with the right home design could end up cheaper than buying a larger lot.
- If you decide on a smaller house, there will be less upkeep.
- Smaller lots are often in very expensive suburbs. You may want to weigh up if you’re getting your money’s worth.
- The limits of a small lot can be just that: limiting. While there are definitely ways to make the most of a narrow lot, you can obviously only work within the parametres of your property.
Split Level Home Designs
Working with a sloping block of land? There’s no reason this has to stop you from building your dream homes. Split level houses are designed to take full advantage of sloping blocks and accommodate uneven land through the use of a split level home design. Split level homes have at least three separate levels, usually with a staircase connecting each area.
- Can make the most of difficult blocks of land
- Can create a unique house.
- A lot of guaranteed build times won’t apply to split level home designs.
- The unique look can be an acquired taste, which may make resale more difficult.
Single storey house designs
By far the most common type of home you’ll see, it’s also one of the most flexible when it comes to design. The name simply means it has one storey, so a lot of very different designs fit in this category. Tend to be cheaper than multi-storey homes due to less materials and because single-storey houses don’t require the same structural considerations as a double-storey home.
- Usually more affordable, making it a great option for first home buyers.
- No stairs, making life easier for anyone with mobility issues.
- Wider range than any other design out there.
- The footprint of your home is the house area.
- Often takes up more land space than multi-storey homes.
- Lacks the buffer zones/privacy options of a double-storey home.
Double-storey house designs
Double-storey homes are a popular option for larger families and have an impressive look. Most (though not all) builders offer double-storey designs.
- It can be a great way to fit a large home size onto a smaller block of land.
- More room for larger families
- Offers more options for privacy
- More home means more area to clean.
- Could be more space than you need.
Looking for help with your home build journey? Buildi is here to guide you through the whole process! Click here to book your free, impartial consultation today!
New Home builders in Gold Coast
Ausbuild has a long-standing reputation and offers a lot of home designs, especially single and double-storey. They’re founded in Brisbane, so know the area well.
Ausmar Homes offers flexible floorplans and custom home building, so are a great option for anyone looking to be hands-on, or those who have a specific vision in mind.
BOLD Living is a boutique builder, that has been building homes in Brisbane since 2010. They’re the baby of the list with only 11 years under their belt. This inexperience could affect your build.
Being locally based, they have a good grasp on the needs of Brisbane home builders and are flexible with their designs
Brighton Homes is part of the MJH Group. Their designs follow a lot of the current trends. They offer the following floorplans:
- Acreage Homes
- Single Storey Homes
- Double Storey Homes
Coral Homes offers the following options:
- Single Storey
- Double Storey
- Acreage Homes
Clarendon Home design
Clarendon Homes offer over 100 different designs on their website and have 10 different display homes across South East Queensland.
Dixon Homes offers affordable homes. They offer a wide range of different house plans to choose from and would be an option looking to build an affordable home.
G.J. Gardner is one of the biggest names in Australian home building and has a wide range of floorplans to prove this. Would be better suited for someone looking to choose a pre-existing design. Anyone looking to customise a lot might want to consider another builder.
The thing to remember with Hallmark Homes is they don’t build double-storey floor plans. That having been said, they do offer the following:
- Acreage Homes
- Narrow Lot
- Single Storey Homes
Homes by CMA
Homes by CMA are not flexible with changes to floorplans. On the plus side, their standard inclusions are generous compared to other builders.
McCarthy Homes has a reputation for tackling difficult blocks, so if you’re working with an uneven lot, they’re worth talking to.
Metricon is one of the largest builders in Australia. Their homes are well designed up to date with the current trends. Most display villages have a Metricon home, so it’s easy to check out their work. When it comes to variations to house plans, it is possible, but it will be expensive.
- Single Storey Homes
- Double-storey homes
- Luxury Homes
Established nearly fifty years ago, Ownit homes have a range of home designs. Their homes are customisable and they specialise in roofs and terraces.
Plantation Homes are an award-winning builder who specialise in Acreage Homes. They have display homes everywhere including Brisbane Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. Their complete range can be found on their website.
Porter Davis Homes
Originally founded in Melbourne, Porter Davis Homes opened its first display homes.
- Single storey homes
- Double-storey homes
- Acreage Home
Simonds Homes is one of the oldest names in the Australian building industry. They have a wide range of homes to choose from. Unfortunately, they don’t have a dedicated post-build team, so if you have any issues with your home after it’s complete, it can be difficult to get it resolved.
Stroud Homes offers a wide range of house plans including:
- Attached granny flats
- Double storey homes
- Dual occupancy homes
- Duplex home designs
- Luxury home designs
- Narrow lot designs
- Single storey home designs
How much does it cost to build a home in Gold Coast?
Anyone who has been keeping an eye on the property market knows prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. The Gold Coast is no exception to this trend, with house prices rising between 50-60% in some suburbs in the last quarter. Some of the most expensive suburbs in South East Queensland are located on the Gold Coast. Demand for property in the Gold Coast is rising, with reports suggesting the market outperformed, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth in 2021.
House price growth:
- Paradise Point – $1,900,000 (58.3 per cent)
- Palm Beach – $1,373,125 (49.9 per cent)
- Mermaid Waters – $1,300,000 (49.4 per cent)
- Bundall – $1,590,000 (49.3 per cent)
- Miami – $1,327,500 (47.5 per cent)
The median price for a Gold Coast house at the time of writing is $966,543. This obviously varies suburb to suburb, and there are certain Gold Coast where you’ll need well over a million to even have a chance of purchasing land.
The most expensive suburbs on the Gold Coast, all of which have median prices of over a million dollars, are:
- Main Beach
- Mermaid Beach
- Surfers Paradise
- Broadbeach Waters
- Paradise Point
- Clear Island Waters
- Currumbin Valley
- Runaway Bay
- Mermaid Waters
- Burleigh Heads
- Palm Beach
There are some more affordable options in the Gold Coast area. As you’d expect, they’re further away from the beach. In these suburbs, it’s possible to build a house under 650,000, maybe even closer to the 500,000 mark. However, there are many variables that can change these prices, so don’t take them as gospel. The most affordable suburbs in the Gold Coast area are:
- Ormeau & Ormeau Hills
- Upper Coomera
- Pacific Pines
Book a Free Consultation Today
At Buildi, we help you find the right builder, save time, reduce stress and stay on budget.
How We Can Help You
Building a home is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. At Buildi, we’ll be there throughout the entire building process, guiding you step by step so you can avoid any pitfalls. We will help you by following these steps.
- Free Consultation – We will sit with you to understand what you are looking to accomplish.
- Due Diligence – We work with you to ensure you’re buying the right block of land at the right price without hidden problems.
- Builders tender – We will take your requirements out to the market of builders and they will bid to win your business.
- Present solutions – We will compile the top 3 options and present you with a comprehensive proposal on builders’ strengths & weaknesses along with prices and specifications.
- Contract Signing – We will work with you and your selected builder to ensure there is full transparency in what you are entering into.
- Building your home – We work closely with the builder to ensure all service levels are met and your project is on schedule.